Industry 4.0 is a collective term for several trends within manufacturing and industry. Industry 4.0 encompasses, among others, the following concepts:
- Smart manufacturing/smart factories
- Dark factories (factories without humans and thus with no need for lights)
- Industrial internet of things
Even though the concept mainly focuses on manufacturing, some aspects are still highly relevant for freight transport. A smart factory inevitably needs to be serviced by vehicles delivering or picking up cargo, thereby needing interaction with systems that (normally) are out of the control of the factory itself.
Examples from industry
- Was hinter Begriffen wie Industrie 4.0 steckt – https://www.computer-automation.de/steuerungsebene/steuern-regeln/artikel/93559/0/
- Wikipedia – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industry_4.0